Thursday, January 16, 2014

Progress!

After about 4 hours of quilting today, I am a quarter of the way finished quilting this project.  Yeah!  I thought it would take much longer.  I'm very happy to say that I figured out a way to maneuver a large quilt through my sit down HandiQuilter, and a way to keep the excess rolled up.  This is the first time I've done a quilt this large on the HQ (double size).


I purchased the black clamps above to use with Shibori dyeing, and the Clover jumbo clips without a particular purpose in mind.  My first thought was to use the Clover clips to keep the quilt rolled, but they were only big enough to hold the ends in place.  So then I went to the clamps from the hardware store - you never know what tools you'll need for quilting!  They were perfect to keep the rolled up fabric in place.
Then, knowing I needed more table space to support the excess quilt, I decided to move my domestic machine off its desk and clear the end of the cutting table next to the HQ.  Perfect!  That more than doubled the work space and made it much easier to move the quilt - very little wrestling required!
The stool also provides added support, and can move to either side, depending where the bulk of the fabric is.  So happy I figured this out!  I was thinking I needed a different configuration of my space to make the HQ more usable, but this is a much easier solution.
Above is the back side of what I did today.  Hard to see unless you click on the picture to enlarge it.  The wavy lines will go in both directions to create a plaid effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment