Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Celebration Day 3

Saturday started with an early morning walk down to the lake.  Here are some shots of the view.


My second workshop was with Bonnie Hunter, called Basket Weave Strings.  I usually tend toward more artsy classes, but this time I felt like doing something different and I really liked the  look of the project, plus I've never taken a Bonnie Hunter class before.  She's really popular with a lot of quilters and its easy to see why. Bonnie's enthusiasm is contagious and she helps us make a dent in the scrap bin - and create a few more!  This was a pretty relaxing class, just a bit of instruction to start with followed by plenty of time to sew.  The string blocks are pieced on a foundation, so other than cutting the foundation papers, no measuring required!  Strips are random widths and don't necessarily have to be straight.  
 Above Bonnie is showing some of her antique string quilts.  The class project is on the right.
 Bonnie demonstrates the foundation piecing process.
These are the blocks I completed in class.  There might have been more, but after sewing 10 blocks I realized that I was sewing without any tension, so then I had to fix them all.  I was happy to get 16 blocks done in spite of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment