Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lil Blue Boo/Dharma Trading Design Challenge


When I heard about the Lil Blue Boo/Dharma Trading Design Challenge, I thought it would be a great opportunity to use a particular fat quarter of fabric that was calling to me.  This bag is made from a piece I snow-dyed last year and later screen printed as a sample for an online class with Quilt University
I knew I wanted to make a purse, and was inspired partly by Amy Butler's birdie sling and some bags I saw in a store, as well as a set of leather handles I had recently purchased.  I started by  putting a coating of clear gel medium on the fabric to give it a bit of protection and then machine quilted the fat quarter with a layer of cotton batting.  I chose 2 coordinating batiks for the bands and lining.  The bag is constructed by folding the fat quarter in half, shaping the sides, adding pleats on the top edges, narrow and wide bands at the top, and stitching to shape the bottom. The lining has 1 large pocket and 2 smaller ones. The facing of the wider band covers the seams on the interior.  The leather handles were purchased in a quilt shop and come from Cindy's Button Company.  I thought that they and the batik lining fit well with the character of the screen print.  Finished dimensions are 11" tall, 13" wide and 3" deep.

I didn't have a set plan when I started this project and had been putting it off, but once I began, I got in the zone and finished in 1 day.  It was fun to do - thanks Lil Blue Boo and Dharma Trading for the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment