Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

New Bag

I purchased a pattern about a year ago by Pink Sand Beach Designs, and cut out the pieces for it during quilt camp last summer, but didn't get a chance to sit down and sew it.  After being at the quilt show last week and seeing the pattern on display at multiple vendors, I decided it was time to sit down and make it.  (I really could have used it last week at the show!).  This bag is called the Barbados Bag.  It ends up about 9.5x11 inches, has multiple pockets (which I love) and is big enough for an iPad to fit inside.  When I bought the pattern, I was thinking of that use primarily, but now that it is done I know I will use it as a purse as well.  It is made with fusible fleece and decor bond interfacing so it is pretty sturdy.  The main body of the bag and 1 pocket have zippers so there is security for the most important stuff.
On the left is the pattern and on the right are the front and back sections during construction.  The spiral fabric is a purchased piece out of my stash; all the other fabrics I used are some of my hand dyes.  These were both snow dyes and ice dyes.
 Above is the front, with the zippered pocket and a second pocket where the pink ends.  There is another zipper on the top.
This is the back, which has 2 tall pockets; if you look closely you can see the double row of stitching.  The pattern company also sells the hardware used to attach the straps.  They could have just been sewn in without the hardware, but I chose to add it.  There are also 2 pockets on the inside.
And then to finish it off, I remembered I had these 2 great zipper pulls, purchased years ago!  See, there's a reason for all this stuff I accumulate; it does get used eventually!  I love the design of this bag, and the colors of the fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment